Ayushman Bharat Yojana
The 2018-19 Union Budget witnessed the mentioning of a brand new scheme called Ayushman Bharat Yojana also referred to as Medicare, is a health sector initiative.The Mission Director will be Manoj Jhalani, who is the current Additional Secretary in Health and Family Ministry.
The other two central sponsored schemes, i.e. RashtriyaSwasthyaBimaYojana and the Senior Citizen Health Insurance Scheme will also be subsumed under this scheme.The scheme aims at supporting those who do not get easy access to healthcare facilities or are deprived of it. This major section of the society is mainly poor people who cannot afford to visit a hospital or bear the cost of the treatment of any deadly disease they are suffering from. Thus, there was a need for such a policy that would be beneficial for such needy people.
Features of the scheme Ayushman Bharat Yojana:
- The individual gets an insurance cover of 5 Lakh rupees, with a premium amount of Rs. 2000 per year per family with no cap on family size or age of the individuals (60:40 center & state share), thus giving them a benefit of cashless service. However, in the long run, it may exceed Rs 5000 per family. The insurance aims at covering all existing diseases and the premium amount would vary based on the kind of illness the person has, who has applied for the scheme.
- Covering 100 million families that are poor.
- The scheme will also cover post- and pre-hospitalization expenses.
- A fixed allowance for transportation will be paid to the patient as well.
- The scheme is also Aadhaar enabled.
- Along with the two programs, there will other activities that will run parallel with this scheme, such as the construction of 24 government medical colleges across the nation.
- Private sector organizations can also contribute to this scheme through corporate society responsibilities (CSR).
Objectives for Ayushman Bharat Yojana:
- Setting up health centers at nearer places for easy availability of healthcare facilities.
- A medical benefit to the covered poor people.
- Ensuring wellness of the families covered under the program.
- Job generation can also be considered as one of its indirect objectives, which will benefit a lot of women in the community.
Major health initiatives as declared by Sj. Arun Jaitley, FM:
- Health and wellness centers: These centers aims at providing comprehensive healthcare, including both secondary and tertiary care. It will also provide free essential drugs and many such diagnostics services will also be made available at no cost. Over 1.5 Lac centers will be established under this scheme.
- National health protection scheme: The scheme will cover 1 million poor families as mentioned above, with an approximate 50 Crore beneficiaries with 5 Lakhs coverage per family. This scheme is considered as the world’s largest government-funded health schemes till date.
Eligibility for Ayushman Bharat Yojana:
- Families who have not been enrolled in any health schemes earlier will be covered under this scheme.
- The categorization will be done based on the data obtained from the socio-economic caste Census (SECC), 2011. This will enable the Govt. to take into purview all those needy people, irrespective of the family size and age.
- Benefits will be provided based on Aadhaar enabled biometrics. Thus, a valid Aadhaar card is necessary.
- It is one of the largest funded schemes in the world, as it offers no limit on family size.
Premium to be paid:
The set premium by Govt. is Rs 110 and Rs 1200, which has to be paid on a monthly basis. Only after payment of the premium amount, the beneficiary can avail the healthcare service. On payment of this fee, all members of that particular family will be entitled to receive Rs 5 Lakhs as the amount of benefit.
The govt. plans to levy a 1% surcharge as health cess so that maximum number of beneficiaries could be covered. The expected collected amount would be nearly Rs 11000 crore.
The scheme will be implemented in 2 phases nationwide, which will start by 15th August 2018.
How to apply for the scheme Ayushman Bharat Yojana
The Govt. will launch an online and unique portal for registration to the scheme. The portal will consists of Online user registration, Application status, Insurance claim, and other services. The launch is expected to be on 15th of August, 2018. The needed documents will be scan copy of Aadhaar card, income certificate, and caste certificate.
The toll free number for this program has been announced as 1800-180-1104. This will provide details of the National Health Protection Programs.